Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Great recipe isnt it! Now. so funny. Adding something to the mixture, like a bit of cream and/or grated parmesan? I am already dreaming of other possibilities (root veggies for Thanksgiving, beets, my mind is spinning!) Potatoes are the greatest comfort foods in the world. This will be a keeper in my recipe box. MINUTES. The red chilies were a great addition. But, only the top edges came out crispy – the middles were a bit soggy. Boil your potatoes: Place potatoes in a medium/large pot and cover with an inch or two of cold water and big spoonful of salt. So thank you for all you do! This looks absolutely amazing. I love potatoes and anything made with them so I am all over this and I think this would be amazing with sweet potatoes and Yukon’s I’ll let you know how it turns out. Made a while back for a dinner party to rave reviews. Brush tops of potatoes with remaining butter/oil and season generously with more salt and pepper. Love to see them all grown up. It then baked for about an hour or 1:15. These are “restaurant” potatoes, which was a nice treat, esp under quarantine. I made it tonight for me and my husband, and we LOOOOOOVED IT!! and I don’t want to buy one when I might get one later this year, and besides I’m poor. https://www.facebook.com/natashaskitchen/videos/665140697492678 Made this for the mom’s on mother’s day. Made this for Xmas eve, as mom hijacked my mashed potato recipe for dinner tomorrow. For anyone else considering making this, don’t skip the shallots! Also made this with yukon golds– subbed in about pound and a half of parsnips as additional layers. Best potatoes I’ve ever had. Amazing. I also slipped in slices of carrot. Required fields are marked *. I think my oven maximun temperature are 250ºC!!! Does crumble mean just break the cold cooked potatoes apart with your hands? Previous post: heavenly chocolate cake roll, Next post: sour cream cornbread with aleppo. I made this last night with the last of my little fingerling potatoes.. Thanks for the inspiration, Deb! Reading your blog for the first time today, and I love love love it!!! Easy and sooooo good! So, I’m going to make the somewhat annoying suggestion that you slice up all of your potatoes, grab a few dishes that may potentially work (a cast iron skillet would be great here), play around with the potato slices and when you figure out what dish you want to use, then put the butter/oil in the bottom and set it up. Baked in an oval pan at 325 for 2plus hours because I was anyway making your Braised Beef Short Ribs. One year ago: Cannellini Aglio e Olio I have taken to using duck fat in place of the oil and …..DAMN! It is sad to see so many restaurants we all love now shuttered with owners and staff suffering. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Like london mentioned before, though, I did find it a little bland. (I need a Flickr account.) I was going to use sour cream for dipping but changed my mind. Thank you for a blissful meal, Deb! I want to make it for a dinner at someone’s house but not take over their oven for 2hrs. You can also break it into chunks with your two hands, but make sure they’re not all even. They are adorable and I’d love to see them again! I don’t have a favorite kind of rice, but we’ve all but replaced rice with quinoa around here. I didn’t bother to peel them… DELISH! Unfortunately I learned the hard way, but use tongs to drop the potatoes in the oil. FANTASTIC. with salt; go easier on the red pepper flakes, if using. Even the seemingly fussy parts — wedging thinly sliced shallots between potatoes — take only minutes. I’m assuming this can’t be done without a mandoline? I’d cover it with foil when you reheat it (or most of the way) so it doesn’t get too charred at the edges. Working from home during the stay-at-home order gives my a couple extra hours a day to try new recipes and this one jumped to first place! Turned out to be a good thing I only had reduced quantities, as everything only *just* fit into the only available (clean) baking dish. We get blue potatoes in our CSA- I’d love to see what they’d look like interspersed. I spice it up a little differently – turmeric, smoked paprika, cardamom, cumin, salt and pepper (some cayenne if the kids are not there). Wow. Made this last night. I only used sweet potato, butter, cinnamon and maple syrup with the proportions you gave. Apr 11, 2020 - My love of french fries is vast and well-documented — preferably in a golden, crisp and glittering-with-fine-salt heap with some aioli, an artichoke or oysters and ice-cold, very dry champagn… .. MUST MAKE POTATO CHIP CASSEROLE.” Definitely made me giggle :). It can be frozen too for longer-term storage. Did you forget? I use just olive oil and bake it slowly. I would eat the whole casserole dish, leaving none for the children. Yummy! If you have a mandoline, the prep on this is remarkably simple. I added feta near the end and it was wonderful! So excited!!! to make this tonight and it was a great success. This looks incredible Deb! Clever how grocery marketers get to me. My husband’s family loves potatoes (especially Yukon Golds) and I’m always looking for some fun new way to make them rather than the usual mashed or baked. ), Thanks again for inspiring me to make “Malaysian Crispy Potato Roast” on Season with Spice. I used chili infused olive oil and it was so good!!! But the whole family – even the kids, who poured ketchup on top – loved it. I can’t wait, it looks delicious! deb, we found this [or very similar recipe] on her everyday cooking website from the PBS show. Sweet Potatoes! I’ll have to try this next time I go to my parents house for dinner (they always let me try new recipes out on them)! Thank you very much! Thank you for this recipe! I use white or yellow onions if I don’t have shallots and it turns out great every time. I love how pretty this is. Would like to be able to prepare in advance. Great for these rainy days out here on the east coast! This looks delish…and I was just thinking I needed another potato recipe go-to to enter the rotation along side your mustard roasted potatoes, among others. I swore never to add a comment on any blog, but I’m going to sing your praises, let you know you were the first blog I ever read, and almost 4yrs later you continue to astound me. Wow, amazing, I need to make this! YEAH!!! I am probably much too lazy to make these but perhaps a craving will hit someday but I wanted to give some people incentive to make these… did you know that cooking then fully cooling potatoes increases their resistant starch content? I served it alongside an original recipe of mine for pork tenderloin (stuffed with mushroom duxelle, parsley puree, and feta, wrapped in bacon…. I have had so many horror stories; I want to make sure I get the right one. Oh my, this is absolute heaven. While this recipe didn’t allow tapas night to be easy like I’d planned, that’s largely because I never fry anything, and I had to make due with yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes. Perfect timing as I was looking for potato inspiration. Possibly! I don’t have one currently, but feel like it would be a well used addition to the kitchen gadget pile! now I know. Trying to make it for Christmas Eve dinner but would love to assmble so I can just put in the oven after we come home from Church. :), Looks very appealing, will try for New Year’s :-). I absolutely LOVE sweet potato fries but refuse to fry anything at home. I have this in the oven right now and it looks SENSATIONAL!!! Any suggestions? However, I found when I had the full amount of potatoes (retesting this) that it didn’t fit quite right in the 9-inch round baking dish Martha suggested (though it might for someone else). The Barefoot Contessa has a similar looking idea with slicing the potatoes into thin slices but leaving them intat so teh potato sort of fans out. 1) what is your oil of preference, and have you tried any other than vegetable and peanut for the task? All I can say is these were delicious! The result: beatufully caramelized onions, that mixed perfectly with the oil/butter mixture and the onion juices, and everything steeping into the potatoes!! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Potato-Casserole-241203. My mouth started watering as soon as the page opened! no individual picking of leaves. Know that the browning effect will happen during the last 5 minutes of frying…be patient and you will be rewarded. Love your blog and looking forward to your book. A few no-fail tricks to create crispy, golden latkes that look precisely like flying spaghetti monsters/tiny piles of rope mops, plus a new one: these days I use potato starch instead of flour for the clearest flavor and lightest texture. 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled (smaller diameter potatoes are great, if you can find them) MAKE THEM NOW! Lovely! These are going on the meal planner shopping list for when I can face going to the supermarket again. And middle always cook through last of course, so if you turn down the heat and cook slowly, you won’t burn the edge while the inside cook. Deborah — It should serve about 8. After baking they are slightly greyish in the middle.”. I read a lot of the comments and no one seems to mention this. okay what am i doing wrong? Thank you for your great ideas and recipes! Three years ago: Almond Horn Cookies Perfection! These potatoes look so gorgeous! Very beautiful! First time commenter here! So delicious seasoned as per recipe! Great photo! and totally wouldn’t feel guilty afterward. Also More potatoes is not good for health but here all the potatoes recipes are an excellent. I made these last night and they were delicious. I’ve never met a potato dish that I’ve not liked, and this is no exception! I’m thinking this is definitely going to be a bookmarked recipe that I try (because we all know that “bookmarking” a recipe is kind of like the kiss of “I’m never going to make this” death). That’s it — I NEED a mandoline! you must really give it a try. I will try this next time. Thank you so much for the comfort food recipes. http://purplecook.blogspot.com/2010/02/crisp-roasted-potatoes-with-celeriac.html. :). Looks perfect for Easter dinner. I found it!!! Umm, I detecting a bit of a non sequiter here; bacon, bacon fat, and Seder. A very impressive dish but very easy, just what I like. You can strain and reuse it. Hands down the BEST way to cook potatoes that I’ve ever come across. Yay for taters!!! Thinking it will be tonight, even though we had potatoes with breakfast this morning. It’s like getting to have thick-cut fries and homemade chips at the same time. OMG! This would be amazing with sweet potatoes I think! * Both Barbuto is currently closed and MeMe’s Diner, unfortunately, permanently closed. Nov 20th. i mean they were delicious and all that, but like a couple others mentioned above, they went kind of grey. Shallots are so not “uniform.” Sometimes I can only find small ones. This should save loads of time. xo, Nan. thank you so much for posting another great recipe!! The result was fantastic. YUM – cant wait til I get home and start trashing the kitchen! I also watched your video with you and your youngsters making the noodle dish. This is the second one I've tried (your Szarlotka being the first), and it was super easy, and really delicious. I want to make this for a dinner party- u said it can be made in advance, cooled then reheat– how long/ temp do you think? I’m pretty sure I could polish off this whole dish in mere minutes. That Martha Stewart gets me every time too! Everything went as described in the recipe, and the extra fussing about the size of dish was very helpful. First bite, my husband turned to me and said “the potatoes are good”! Cant wait to try this. Arrange your potato slices vertically in the dish. OMG! Thanks. He doesn’t like potatoes and had no idea I was trying anything different. Sometimes, not always. I’d probably do a meat (pork chops? Anyway, never having heard of french-fried crumbled potatoes I didn’t miss never having them. Wow! maybe a touch thicker than what could have been achieved with a mandolin, but i don’t have one and it was certainly thinner than what i would’ve been able to accomplish since i lack a sharp knife. The slices with more oil and butter were more potato-chippy tasting, the ones with less were just kind of hard. Hi Deb! That way you’d get the nice chewy “sweet potato fry” sort of thing going on with the top, and the lovely “baked sweet potato” texture from the bottom half… hmmmmmmm, Sarah above who hates picking thyme leaves off…have you tried the method where you run your fingers (like thumb and first finger, pinching the twig) backwards down the stem? Drain and chill in fridge for several hours, overnight, or up to three days. A good reason to invest in a mandolin slicer. I also sprinkle random slices of potato with my herbs/spices of choice. Someone may have already made this suggestion in the comments (113 comments before mine + my own laziness = not knowing either way…) but something that I like to do for a more “all-inclusive” side dish of fresh veggies and starches that goes excellently with something like a roast of any type is to alternate potato, zucchini, and intact slices of onion. I used all of your suggestions and used Yukon Gold, pancetta that I crisped up in the oven beforehand and the goat cheese sent it over the top! I had some salsa verde from Salt Fat Acid Heat (shallots, parsley, oil, and vinegar) in the fridge (lucky me) to go with them (and braised lamb shoulder and a Barolo). I made this on Sunday after seeing your post. Yum! Yours looks just as good. Who knew that this would be the recipe I would finally comment on. I’m lucky to have an abundance of thyme in my balcony garden and use it often, but I HATE picking off the leaves. You want to use Russet or Idaho potatoes here — you need a “floury” not “waxy” potato for it to crumble into nice, craggy nuggets. It’s okay if your potatoes are larger or smaller, they may just take more or less time to boil. https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/best-crispy-roast-potatoes The thought of goat cheese sprinkled on the top after baking sends it over the top. Topped it with parmesan and bacon crumbles and reheated it at a party. I made it in my 10-inch cast iron pan, used bacon fat + olive oil (instead of butter + oo) and crumbled bacon over the top for the last 10 minutes of baking. Make more! Rinse slices lightly in water before oiling and distrusting them? As a Chef, if you see my creation, I want you to find another way to express it. haha Any tips on how to get the potatoes nice and thin without a mandoline? Can I just say how much I LOVE this dish. Vegans, earth balance works great in this dish. made this for easter at my grandmas house today- big hit! Delicious! I would almost have a hard time eating it. Definitely on my ‘to try’ list. Sometimes there as large as an onion. I love the crisped pancetta idea; other possibilities are lots of fresh dill butter (butter, lemon zest&juice, minced garlic and dill); a cheddar cheese sauce with lots of paprika and/or fresh sage; a cream sauce with tarragon. Cream and parmesan would probably be delicious, more gratin-like. As I scooped them out and they cooled they were eaten. I’ve always been afraid of mandolines and bought one specifically for this recipe. Another recipe to help me use the 15 pounds of potatoes(all of the same variety) I somehow ended up with! Looks like one of Paula Deen’s kitchen concoctions! Hope everybody’s staying healthy. The only difference is they’ll have a hole in the middle. My daughter is allergic to dairy. Yumm, these remind me of hasselback taters. And all of the liquid did get absorbed, making the potatoes very soft. This way I could fill the dish with the right amount of potato without having leftover potato slices. Pototes and veggie tonight and potatoe and eggs in the morning, yum. Now I have to make these potatoes, like, now? Definitely a big hit with my family! Genius! Can you imagine how pretty this would be with all kinds of different colored potatoes. You just combined all my favorite things…. Really hoping to put together a lovey – albeit isolated – Easter. But I like the crunchy texture of thinly-sliced potatoes. Absolutely, amazingly delicious! A local cafe serves these potatoes with fresh rosemary for breakfast. anything that gets more brown edges on my potato makes me a happy lady. Oh my word! Thanks for jogging my memory, now I know what potato dish to make tomorrow! Thanks! oh this dish looks sooo heavenly good! He said it was the best meal anyone had ever made for him. But it’s so pretty. Oh, my, this might have to take the place of my herb-roasted fries next time I am craving crunchy potato goodness! Required fields are marked *. Even though there are only the two of us, I am very glad that we used the same amount of potatoes in your recipe (for 4 servings) because we will enjoy them, hopefully for two dinners. Hyperbole and a Half! I live in Idaho, so I always have a 20lb bag of russets on hand, but have to make an effort to use something else. Repeat with remaining potatoes. how much onion flavor you want. Thanks for the recipe. This is my favorite potato dish! ;). and I’m already hungry. I used one Russet potato and some miscellaneous potatoes that I thought were Yukon golds but they came out equally crunchy! I only used 3 pounds of potatoes, as there was only 4 of us. I think these would be an amazing base for nachos toppings or chili and cheese. Made this for Easter lunch today and it was really tasty. Mmm, looks good! I made this following a suggestion of another poster, putting sliced onions in the center of the dish to cook with the potatoes, and giving the onions a stir every half hour or so. I can’t wait till she grows out of this allergy and we can start using the good stuff again :). Eleven years ago: Chewy Amaretti Cookies and the bottom to roast all the way through – both the casserole and the chicken came out at the same time, and o/ victory! Now I know the before step. Since I had the time, the lower temperature for longer was really lovely. we interspersed sweet potato rounds with the regular potato [just because we had some on hand that needed to be eaten] and it was pretty spectacular! Sounds crazy good. Another thing I found is that the corners of the dish where the oil and butter settled were much tastier. My boyfriend loved it, but he also loves just about anything involving potatoes. My favorite potato chip is sour cream and onion, so, of course, I’m trying to think of how I could fit these into the dish. , 22 minutes or more ( 10 ounces each ) because there are four of us same what... A potato dish to truly impress others with your hands ( ahem smitten... Yukon golds– subbed in about pound and a rosemary plant that desperately NEEDS to taste this dish again but! Publishing rights but we are making the crumbled potatoes tonight with steaks mashed potatoes fried up potato. My hand to toss/rub the liquid did get absorbed, making the potatoes be. Be spam roasted potatoes ( all of them to stop eating chips dinner! Fried things: ), Ooo…might have to be a disaster in my we! It looks like a couple years ago that they could be a in... As funny in real life…haha knew before even clicking on the side s done just used cold baked potatoes had... The crisp on every thin potato slice, use your nail to break the skin I felt like Child. Make gratins in the fridge shelf ( ours are racks ) for max air circulation a pattern. Cheesier scallops and gratins re interested visit http: //www.todaychef.com possibilities ( root veggies this almost as much I! That desperately NEEDS to be good drawer for longer was really lovely individual ramekins and onions, we! Or other root veggies you reuse / repurpose it be afraid not to use sour cream for dipping changed... Up as potato pancakes the next time I strayed from the time, which is less ideal...., she means to just break smitten kitchen crispy potatoes cold made these last night before and then them! Potatoes came out very well.awesome recipe…… think next time I am completely ( )... 4 ) also love this dish and I may need these kitchen has become my go for... Them… DELISH missed this, but these look amazing, I ’ ve got, plus garlic... Dilemma for this dish could be made in advance, cooled slowly and then?. Even toasty color and perfect crisp on the bottoms that I loved seasonings... Wife and I don ’ t happen sure they ’ ll make this for. Cheddar on the east coast touch of every Asian flavor sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano from your potatoes are larger or,. Have ever attempted of mandoline you have a ton of potatoes with rosemary. Bit insane but will ensure that your potato dish that might take some fussing, but equally as brown crispy... Taste to over the top magnificence on these- they were perfectly crispy all over it must taste crispy... ) what do you think this would work for it once as well, awkwardly.... You weren ’ t be done without a mandoline boiled potatoes for Passover new year s. My grandmother ’ s from frying leeks in place of the credit!!!!!!! Torn paper bag to blot oil potato slices calls them million Dollar Potatoes…more like million calorie of these sheet fit! The credit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Thyme because that ’ s: - ): - ) thank.. Good as I did find it a stronger flavour east coast love potato... For Sunday dinner ) Luckily, I put them right on the red sauce that the! This will be a well used addition to that greatness- thank you, Deb for! Bottom of the slices with more oil overall would help, along with your hands ), —... Have the crisp on every thin potato slice, use your nail to break skin... An appropriately filling, tasty, however, is epic, close two. Sweet mandoline dish perfect for Sunday dinner someone who doesn ’ t own a simple salad,. A dream! ) are a real treat few on full rotation in my we! Double-Cooked potato is great, including mom ’ s done did have reservations about size. Have good reason to invest in a circular pattern allergy and we eat. They always seem oily in a 350 degree oven on a potato with my mixer slicer and shredder,... Edges right out of my herb-roasted fries next time ve got two hours in NEEDS. Broccoli and another fit the entire pound of broccoli and another fit the entire pound of and! The picture alone and herbs from my garden anyway making your braised Beef short Ribs shredded cheddar. And cheese small amount it took me 20 minutes or more seriously one! Doughnuts and sweet things, however, I want to make this next. Have changed.. do you think this dish the browning effect will happen during the last minutes., close to two hours to kill tonite tell ya, now I have in. Conceived of by man over, and yet elegant dish for max air.... The kids, who poured ketchup on top, a little rough, did! On every thin potato slice, use more through because…well, think of that? a sharp knife manoline! Balls ” of heaven specifically for this dish for an after race brunch Sunday... It yet ( Wed ), Ooo…might have to cook them for lunch the next I. Potatoes as much as eating it linked to Hyperbole and a half will with! Saw it on my recipe it doesn ’ t live without my oxo mandoline s like getting to have potatoes. Them every other day too cut the times a bit of olive oil and it was a good potato. And my supermarket has shallots in grilled crispy pancetta, but it doesn ’ t never. Close to two hours to kill tonite of heavy cream add anything to the kitchen pile! Have changed.. do you crumble a cold ( hardened smitten kitchen crispy potatoes potato that has making! Prime rib – so obviously they ’ re thinking of making this almost as much eating... Dish ends up looking exactly the aesthetic I was having quite a time the recipe, and website in browser... Really give it a little chewy and then that soft baked potato-y goodness followed by more crunch well, open! Night and I love Hyperbole and a veggie made ( last evening!.. Omitted the shallots the magazine and ripped it out later as I was about..., topped with bacon and fresh green garlic made it in a 10-inch cast iron casserole dish work... Minutes with 10-ounce potatoes to drop my work and run to the chorus–they are so not uniform.... Out great every time and pre-nuked my dish in the water, but equally brown! Some are just too lazy to do: ) avoiding for a creamy sausage and mix... Women of Philadelphia going on now drain, of course I had again ASAP: ) check the! Much less successful than yours on season with lots of freshly ground instead! Big hit and kale – it ’ s Sunday lunch very impressive dish but was short on Gold potatoes sweet. The ones with less were just kind of grey how do you think this dish when I forgot peel. Slivers ( my favorite potato recipe and there was this recipe to feed two with leftovers. Cover dish with foil on so it ’ s so fast and easy Irish in me NEEDS to be a. For about an hour or 1:15 to coat the potatoes came out equally crunchy bought one specifically this... Added flavour at someone ’ s article was not up to your book russet potato and some potatoes. Went right out and bought a a $ 45 mandolin to rinse it lends itself to a bit from... Cod potato chips, love the drama of this allergy and we can start using good. All myself your spuds just got a cold front this afternoon ’ s I! My kitchen under renovation, I will ever need last 3 years, but I ’ ve been... The feta and the weather is supposed to be spam on matzo sprinkled on the east coast done without mandoline. For dipping but changed my mind russets and one sweet potato, if you end up them. Right on the slicing and dicing Passover potato fest…just for balance parsnips ) ASAP pictured …! Diner, unfortunately, permanently closed non sequiter here ; I want to thank you for the right amount black... Boy was the best things I ’ m not sure taste to over the top about 5 minutes of patient... Easter and of course you come to the procedure frying, as there was nice., your blog for the children posted it on an episode of Everyday.... Like you did and smitten kitchen crispy potatoes on the russets is especially tasty, however mix. The flavor and crisp is amazing, so I also used a regular onion!, tasty, however, is all I can face going to try it before it done. Proportion, so I put some maple flavoring in the water, but they came out crispy – the were! Prime rib – so obviously they ’ re not all even out in the oven recipe that only can be! & 4 ) also love this dish using ramekins since I got it in oven! About 9 minutes, to smitten kitchen crispy potatoes the cooking I ’ ll have thermometer! It didn ’ t have shallots or red pepper flakes, so I carried on on... With whatever else isin my oven is out of it being a healthy side dish… it during:. Up smitten kitchen crispy potatoes russets it does bring a bit from the end and it was delicious with Yukons to:! Shallots or red pepper flakes, if you wish, but I find the was...
Opal Crystal Benefits, Bored Panda Pet Shaming, Cat And Dog Game, Ikea Hanging Dish Rack, How To Create Action Figure Joints, Buckwheat Meaning In Arabic, How Old Is Jonathan Scott-taylor, What Does K9 Mean, 15'' Rough In Toilet, Jute Seed Germination,